Thursday, October 8, 2009

"But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

I have been taken by the story found in John of the woman by the well. I've read it over and over and over again and it hits me every time. This Samaritan woman is living with a fifth man, is likely despised by the town she lives in, and she has probably spent most of her life searching for love in all the wrong places. I can relate to her! Sometimes I forget and look to food, to my husband or children, to entertainment, for love. It doesn't take very long for me to feel empty again. I love what Jesus tells the woman at the well, and I can picture his tone of voice, the look in his eyes, and the feeling inside of this woman when she realizes who this amazing man is! "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." It isn't at this point that she realizes who Jesus is, but this statement is so powerful, especially if you've experienced it. As I get out my Bible in the morning, I've started telling the Lord that I've come to the well to drink and to drink deeply. I love that picture of drinking from the well as I delight in what God has for me each day. It truly is what keeps me going. I hadn't sat down to write about this today. I read Psalm 73 today and LOVED the second half. It could stand alone, but with the first half has much more meaning. However, here is just the second half:

Psalm 73:23-28
Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You have taken hold of my right hand.
With Your counsel You will guide me,
And afterward receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For, behold, those who are far from You will perish;
You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You.
But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
That I may tell of all Your works.

I love that. "the nearness of God is my good." Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment