Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Psalm 138, Veg. Chili, and Banana Flax Bread . . . have nothing in common. :)

Recently I've been struggling back and forth in an area I thought was no longer going to be an issue. Just like Johnathan is beginning to find out where the line is, my enemy has been looking for a chink in my armor! God has been faithful (yes, I was in fact NOT sleeping during Ladies Night Out yesterday!) in helping me discern reality from non-reality. This Psalm is the song of my heart today. As I wrote in an earlier blog, I read a book about going through transitions and how when we do that, our view of God gets upgraded in the process. Being proactive about seeking what that upgraded version looks like sometimes helps us avoid trials. Hmmmm. Maybe when I'm 50 this will be an easier thing to remember. Or not. :) For now, God is my truth, God is my Delight, my Satisfaction, my Comfort.


Ps. 138:1-3
I will give You thanks with all my heart;
I will sing praises to You before the gods.
I will bow down toward Your holy temple
And give thanks to Your name for Your
lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnifiedYour word 
according to all Your name.
On the day I called, You answered me;
You made me bold with strength in my soul.



Pinto Bean Chili with Corn and Winter Squash
From Cooking Light Slow Cooker

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 c chopped onion
1 1/2 c chopped red (or yellow) green pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder (I put 1 1/2, and 2 would not have been too hot)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
4 c (1/2 inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
2 (16 oz.) cans pinto beans
1 c. whole-kernal corn
1 tsp salt
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
Feta, or Queso Fresco (Mexican feta)
12 lime wedges

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; color and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Place onion mixture in a 5-qt.  electric slow cooker. Add squash and next 6 ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until chili is think. Ladle chili into bowls, sprinkle with cheese and serve with lime. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups chili, 2 Tbsp cheese, 2 lime wedges)

Calories 319 (17% from fat); Fat 6.1 g (sat 2g. mono 2.5g, poly 1.3g); Protein 14.3g; Carb 56g; Fiber 12.7g; Chol 10mg; Iron 4.4mg; Sodium 862mg; Calc 255mg

We tried this last night, and boy was it great on a cold, fall day!

Flax Banana Bread
Bob's Red Mill

1 3/4 c white or whole wheat flour, or a combination of the two
3/4 flaxseed meal
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 c canola oil
2-3 med very ripe bananas (going to try pumpkin also!)

Topping: (I opted to not do the topping and just added cinnamon to the batter)
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Spray bread pan with oil spray and set aside.

Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl. In smaller bowl mash the bananas, add the eggs and oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just moistened. Pour into pan and add topping. Pat down firmly or swirl topping into batter with knife.

Bake 55-60 mintues (mine took 65 minutes)

Yield: 1 loaf, 20 slices (not mine!) :)

Calories 180, Calories from fat 80, Total fat 9g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 20 g, Sodium 11mg, Total Carbs 25g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 12g, and protein 4g.



1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited to try the soup, Becky! And I think I'll be playing with gluten-free bread for my birthday in November, so I'll let you know if that banana bread works gluten-free. I can be your gluten-free division representative! Hahaha. Hugs from Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete