Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Surrender Doesn't Mean Defeat

Psalm 26:1-3
"Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. Test me, O Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for Your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.

Psalm 56:1-4
"Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; all day long they press their attack. My slanderers pursue me all day long; many are attacking me in their pride. When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Psalm 86:1-4 (But read the whole thing later)
"Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life, for I am devoted to you. You are my God; save your servant who trusts in you. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long. Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul."

Psalm 116:1-9
"I love the Lord, for He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy. Because He turned His ear to me, I will call on Him as long as I live. The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord: 'O Lord, save me!' The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the simple hearted; when I was in great need, He saved me. Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you. For You, O Lord, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living."

Psalm 146:1-3 (But PLEASE read the whole thing later)
"Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save."

1 Peter 4:19
"So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good."

Today in my study of Psalms I started in chapter 26. I read that and immediately was convicted. I have not led a blameless life. No way. No one has. In the study notes (Ryrie) it says "blameless life...sincerity of purpose and single-hearted devotion, not sinlessness." Okay. Well, sincerity of purpose and single-hearted devotion is definitely something that I crave and want. I thought about the things and desires that are pulling me in all sorts of directions right now. There are several activities I'd love to devote my time to thinking and praying about and DOING, but they have to be put on the back burner because of the things in front of my face that require my time and energy. My attention has been split. My devotion has been split. Now, the verse in 1 Peter. Suffering. There is very little in my life I'd consider suffering, especially when I consider those around the world who lack for so many things, or are being persecuted. No. I'm not suffering. However, to continue doing good does take self-control, patience. It takes saying no to my flesh and saying yes to the Holy Spirit. Surrender. I love how the ESV version states the verse in 1 Peter. Instead of "commit themselves," it uses the verb entrust. We entrust ourselves to our Creator. The Psalms I read today all speak of looking to God, entrusting ourselves to God. It talks about how God listens when we cry and of His trustworthiness, and His faithfulness.

Recently my husband and I have been working on a mammoth project outside. We're clearing out a lot of brush, limbs of trees, ivy, blackberries. It is a hot, dirty, hard job. At first it was very difficult to be motivated to jump in and participate. As I've surrendered to the plan (entrusting my soul to my Creator...that sounds so lofty, so heroic) I have found peace, and I've found that God has provided me with strength to work until the boss says it's quittin' time. I have found that I even have joy in the middle of the sticks, stickers, and dirt. Joy!! It is dirty joy, but joy all the same. Psalms 116 and 146 so perfectly state what my heart encounters when I surrender. I have also found that as I've laid out my desires in ministry, I have peace, knowing that God will work out the details and the timing.

What does surrender look like in your life? What do you get in exchange for trusting God?

No comments:

Post a Comment