Monday, May 25, 2015

Psalm 20, 50, 90, 140

To God be the glory
let all creation cry
Praise and honor to Christ,
Word of God, Word of life.
 (My Soul Longs for the Lord-Getty)

Ps. 20
Our God is mighty. He saves with the power of His right hand those He has anointed (believers in Jesus and those He is bringing near to Him.) We trust in the Name of the Lord our God, because He is trustworthy. He does not disappoint. We rise up and stand firm. When we celebrate victory, we will shout for Joy and declare glory to God, for it is He in whom we have placed our trust. It is He who has given us the victory!

What does this look like in my day? Month? Year? I don’t go to a literal battle…yet I do everyday. I go to battle against the messages and thoughts that cause me to fear the future, that would cause me to feel alone, that cause me to covet, etc. I trust not in my own wisdom or strength, but in the promises of our God who saves. I trust in His Word as truth, for it is like pure gold and sweeter than honey to my soul. His Word says that every good thing comes from the Father of Lights (James 1) and that He is working everything together for my good (Romans 8) and that nothing can separate me from His love (Romans 8). I can rest assured that everything that God asks me walk through is good and will produce perseverance (James 1). As I place my trust in Him and remember His many promises to hear my cry (help, Lord!), He fills me with hope and joy.

Ps. 50
Harsh. God knows the intents and motives of the heart. You say one thing, but you do another. V. 16 But to the wicked, God says: “What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you.” You join in with those who are wicked, you use your mouth to speak against others and to slander them. You thought God was lawless. God will not stand for this.
“He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and He prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.”

When I read this, it causes me to immediately examine my ways. Do I recite God’s word and then turn around and speak unkindly? What does that mean? The messages of the world, the religious words and patterns, are engrained in me. So, yes. When I agree with the ways of the world and act on it, when I speak against those around me and slander them (even in my mind), I’m walking as those to which God refers. What is the antidote to this? The last verse. It takes humbleness to truly be thankful, TO EVEN NOTICE what God has done. We know that God speaks about pride in His word. James 4:7-12. Thank you, Lord for so quickly giving us a way of escape for our very natural response, our automatic response sometimes, and for your grace and Holy Spirit which works in us to elicit a different kind of response. A response which gives life to us and keeps us close to you, and protects us. You know, Lord, that one day we will stand before YOU. You have that day in mind and you are very purposefully bringing the humble closer to purity with that day in mind. You are worthy of praise!

Ps. 90
Praise! “Lord, YOU have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting, YOU are God.” God is the beginning, was at the beginning, is the creator and sustainer of all things. He sees generation after generation.

The weight of days. The weight of everyday. I feel this weight. I feel the weight of day after day. The same things day after day. Because we fear God, “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

When I read about my sin, about salvation, about God’s wrath…I see Jesus on the cross, taking my sin, taking God’s wrath, and gratitude fills my heart. Praise is on my lips. Because of Jesus, I will not be subject to God’s wrath. I full accept His discipline because by it I know I am loved (Hebrews, James), but I know that Jesus took God’s wrath on His shoulders so that I would not have to.

The weight of days…”Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing fro joy and be glad all our days.” “May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us–yes, establish the work of our hands.” It all points back to God and His grace as He works in the details of our lives. If I see myself and my wisdom working out the details, whom do I have to praise at the end of the day. Me? My wisdom? My strength? “In the last days men will be lovers of themselves (2 Tim 3). That certainly has been a natural way of my mind and heart, but now that I see that, it is like dust in my mouth. It chokes, it suffocates, and I run from it. God is at work in the details, I seek His wisdom, and at the end of the day I have Him to praise and worship. And it is He that establishes the work of my hands. I have direction and purpose. I praise His love and faithfulness! I am seen and known by Almighty God, and His wisdom and strength worked out the details of my life and He deserves all of my praise and worship. I give it, and am filled with joy!

Ps. 140
Rescue me, O Lord, from evil men; protect me from men of violence, who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day.” This isn’t a physical thing in my very comfortable life in the US. It just isn’t a thing. I know there are places in the US where this is a thing. I know there are people who struggle with enemies. I do not have any. I have thoughts that I need to be more vocal about my stand with Christ. For now, I know that I have an enemy who devises evil plans against me. (Romans 8) Our struggle isn’t against flesh and blood…

V. 6 is the cry of my heart against those plans that are devised. My head turns, my eyes lock with Jesus, and I am saved. I am saved though, all the while, even while my head is turned away. The words in v. 6…I say, I cry. Words. Out loud. I declare that it is God who hears, God who shows mercy. He is my strong deliverer. He comes when I cry. I love that I have a prayer against those who devise evil against me. God is just. God works and will fight on our behalf, we need only be still. (Ex 14:13-14).





No comments:

Post a Comment