Thursday, May 28, 2015

In whom do I put my hope?

Psalm 23:1-3
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even thought I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Psalm 53:5
"There they were (those who say, "there is no God."), overwhelmed with dread, where there was nothing to dread."

Psalm 83:18
"Let them (our enemies) know that you, whose name is the Lord–that You alone are the Most High over all the earth."

Psalm 113:4-9
"Who is like he Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; He seats them with princes, with the princes of their people. He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the Lord."

Ps. 143:8
"Let the morning bring me word of you unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."

As I consider my day and the busy plans we have made, I can easily get overwhelmed. However, I don't put my trust in my own strength to get through the day unscathed. How little I really control...and in the end, the question that stands is, whom or what do I worship? As I read these Psalms I'm reminded that as I worship God (fix my mind on His promises instead of trying to control my circumstances, dancing in worship instead of moving from this or that thing in desperate attempts to control something, anything; being still in my thoughts as I, again, fix them on God's truth), He stills my mind and speaks softly of His love (the cross, His word), His grace (all that I see around me), His mercy; and I drink in His peace. All the while, the kids need to be taken care of, the paper mess corralled, the dishes done, the laundry washed, the weeds picked, the kids picked up from school, the babies bottled and changed, the concert attended, horn played, etc. My eyes are fixed on Jesus, who knows and understands that craziness. And I run the race marked. out. for. ME. And I "consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men so that [I would] not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-2,3) I place my hope of ever coming through today with peace, in my Shepherd, My Savior, and the One who endured the cross so that I could grab His hand and run. Looking to Him today.

Where are you placing your hope? What are you fixing your "eyes" onto? What promises are you dwelling on today?

These truths have such huge impact, not only for the crazy days, but for the truly hard times, and for those times we consider the truly dramatic and traumatic things going on in our world today. God, YOU are our only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment